School Nurse

poster of how to spot a school nurse


Health Information

Reasons a student should stay home from school:
  • Has a fever of 100 degrees or more
  • Has had a fever at or above 100 degrees in the last 24 hours
  • Has vomited in the last 24 hours
  • Has had diarrhea in the last 24 hours
  • Has a runny nose that requires a great deal of management time
  • Has a persistent cough that interferes with concentration
  • Is too tired to engage in usual activities
  • Has a significantly decreased appetite
  • Has eye(s) that are red, watery, or draining
  • Has been on a medication for an infection for fewer than 24 hours

Generally, after the above listed symptoms disappear, students require an additional 24 hours to recover. If you are in doubt about whether or not to send your child to school during or following an illness, please call the health office at your child's school for advice. If your child has a persistent cough, rash, fever, bump, or other bothersome symptom, you should contact your pediatrician.

CDC Recommendations for Staff and Students: 

Students and staff with fever and/or respiratory or gastrointestinal infections and/or severe cough, sore throat, vomiting or diarrhea should be sent home or directed to stay home. Individuals may resume normal activities when, for at least 24 hours, both are true: symptoms are getting better overall and they no longer have a fever without the use of fever-reducing medication.