School Tax Information
In-Person Payments will no longer be accepted at the Canandaigua City School District Office on North Pearl Street.
In-Person payments can be made at the Ontario County Treasurer's Office at 20 Ontario Street, 2nd Floor.
Checks can be mailed to:
School Tax Collector
Ontario County Treasurer's Office
20 Ontario Street, 2nd Floor
Canandaigua, NY 14424
can be made at Online Tax Payment Site
Please note, there is a fee for online payments.
- Ontario County Treasurer's Office, 20 Ontario Street, 2nd Floor - 8:30 - 5 pm
- Canandaigua National Bank branches will still accept full payments in October only.
Please call the Ontario County Treasurer's Office at 585-396-4432 if you have any questions.
Taxes may be paid on or before October 31, 2023 without penalty. Taxes received from November 1, 2023 through November 30, 2023 will be assessed a 1% penalty. We will be collecting taxes with a 3% penalty from December 1, 2023 until January 2, 2024. In person payments can be made until 5 pm on January 2, 2024.
NOTE: When mailing payments they must be postmarked by January 2nd. Residents should be aware that correct postmarks may not occur on the last day unless hand-delivered to the Post Office and postmark requested. Please note: the office will be closed January 1.
Taxes may be paid in 2 installments. In order to participate in the installment option, the first installment payment (noted on your tax bill) must be received by October 31, 2023. The second installment amount can be paid in November with a 1% penalty assessed or December with a 3% penalty assessed.
After January 2, 2024, unpaid school taxes for properties within the city of Canandaigua will be turned over to the City of Canandaigua Treasurer's Office. The Ontario County Treasurer’s office will continue t o collect unpaid school taxes for other properties. A 6% penalty will be added, plus a 5% treasurer’s fee, plus there will be a 1% interest accrued each month starting February 1st, 2024. The County and City Treasurer will be able to provide the amount due after January 15, 2024.
Note: School tax bills have two separate taxes listed:
- School Tax The school tax total. Tax rates per thousand dollars of assessment vary by municipality this year (see below under School Tax Rate Information for specific rates per municipality)
- Library Tax The Wood Library tax total. An increase in the Wood Library tax was approved by voters in May 2023. The total Wood Library tax levy will be $920,150 in 2023-2024, up from $844,250 last year.
The two separate taxes are combined into one total for payment, which is payable to: “School Tax Collector”. By law, the school district collects the Wood Library tax and passes it through to the Wood Library General Fund. The Wood Library tax is not an increase in the school tax levy.
School Tax Rate Information
Canandaigua’s school tax rates vary by municipality in 2023-2024. Most rates are below the projected rate of $17.49, a conservative estimate established in May 2023, at the time of the school budget vote. Voters approved the District’s $88.3 million budget in May by an overwhelming margin.
2023-2024 Tax Rates by Municipality
- City of Canandaigua - 17.150804
- Town of Canandaigua - 15.092533
- Town of Farmington - 15.092703
- Town of Bristol - 15.092498
- Town of East Bloomfield - 17.967259
- Town of Gorham - 15.092498
- Town of Hopewell - 18.405485
- Town of South Bristol - 17.755880
If you have questions about the assessment on property you own, contact the assessor in your municipality:
City of Canandaigua:
Town of Canandaigua:
(585) 394-1120 x2237
(315) 986-8100 ext 4
(585) 229-2400 ext 12
(585) 394-0036 ext 5
(585) 374-6341 ext 4