John Wilcox Award
The John Wilcox Award is the Canandaigua City School District’s highest award given to academic and support staff. John Wilcox served as the Canandaigua Academy Principal from 1967-1986. His leadership was exemplified by his high principles and his own personal code of conduct. Mr. Wilcox believed:
- In putting students first, in honoring them for who they are and celebrating their victories.
- To ensure student success, staff and family must show students they care – through love, support and involvement in the student’s life.
- Every student, when given the chance, could be successful.
- All students need and want structure, rules and discipline in their lives.
- In hard work and commitment, doing whatever it took to get the job done and more.
- In the Canandaigua City School District’s Character Education principles in all that he did both professionally and personally.
- In the Canandaigua School System, the community of Canandaigua and all who live and work here.
To honor the memory of Mr. Wilcox, who passed away on December 3, 2008, the Canandaigua City School District established the John Wilcox Award. This award is given at Commencement to a Canandaigua City School District staff member whose professional principles mirror those of John Wilcox. Previous winners of the John Wilcox Award are: Rick Gollaher, Brian Dermody, Arlene DeVinney, Deborah Wilbur, John Michalko, Trish Kelley, John LaFave, Annette Annesi, Greg Kane, Amy Principato, Brian Amesbury, Mandy Dedrick-Gerstner, and Josh Mull
Written nominations are welcome from any member of the Canandaigua community. Your nomination should highlight the reason the staff member you are nominating exemplifies the characteristics described above. Your nomination letter can be sent to Matt Schrage by Friday, May 26, 2023 at the following address:
Matt Schrage, Assistant Superintendent for Instruction
Canandaigua City School District
143 North Pearl Street
Canandaigua, NY 14424
or you may nominate via e-mail to Mr. Schrage at firstname.lastname@example.org