Please provide this information as promptly as possible, as the District is required to determine whether your child is entitled to continued enrollment in the District within four days of your initial enrollment request. Your failure to provide the following information may put your child’s continued enrollment in jeopardy.
PROOF OF RESIDENCY:
Please submit evidence establishing you and your child’s physical presence in the school district. Such evidence may include:
- A copy of a residential lease or proof of ownership of a house or condominium, such as a deed or mortgage statement;
- A statement by a third-party landlord, owner or tenant from whom the parent(s) or person(s) in parental relation leases or with whom they share property within the District, which may be either sworn or unsworn;
- Such other statement by a third party establishing the parent(s)’ or person(s) in parental relation’s physical presence in the district; and/or
- Other forms of documentation, which may include, but will not be limited to:
- pay stub;
- income tax form;
- utility or other bills;
- membership documents (e.g., library cards) based upon residency;
- voter registration document(s);
- official driver’s license, learner’s permit or non-driver identification;
- State or other government issued identification;
- documents issued by federal, state or local agencies (e.g., local social service agency, federal Office of Refugee Resettlement); or
- evidence of custody of the child, including but not limited to judicial custody orders or guardianship papers.
The District may also require the parent(s) and/or person(s) in parental relation to the child to provide an affidavit either:
- indicating that they are the parent(s) with whom the child lawfully resides; or
- indicating that they are the person(s) in parental relation to the child, over whom they have total and permanent custody and control, and describing how they obtained total and permanent custody and control, whether through guardianship or otherwise.
** Note on Residency - Only students who are are valid inhabitants in the Canandaigua City School District boundaries may attend the district schools unless families in temporary residences fall within the provisions of the McKinney-Vento Act.
PROOF OF AGE:The District will require documentation and/or information establishing your child’s age. Please supply a certified transcript of a birth certificate or record of baptism (including a certified transcript of a foreign birth certificate or record of baptism) giving the date of birth. Where such documentation is not available, a passport (including a foreign passport) may be used.
Where birth certificate or passport is not available, the District may consider certain other evidence, which has been in existence two years or more. Other evidence may include, but will not be limited to the following:
- official driver’s license;
- state or other government issued identification;
- school photo identification with date of birth;
- consulate identification card;
- hospital or health records;
- military dependent identification card;
- documents issued by federal, state or local agencies (e.g., local social service agency, federal Office of Refugee Resettlement);
- court orders or other court-issued documents;
- Native American tribal document; or
- records from non-profit international aid agencies and voluntary agencies
EVIDENCE OF IMMUNIZATION & PHYSICAL:
In accordance with New York State’s Public Health Law, the District must also receive evidence that your child has been immunized in accordance with the New York State Department of Heath Immunization Bureau’s Immunization Requirements for School Entrance/Attendance. These records will be necessary to ensure your child’s continued attendance. Additionally, please provide us with records of any recent physical examination your student has received. New York State mandates that each new student entering a public school is required to have a physical examination upon entering the District. A physical completed no more than twelve months before the first day of the school year in question will meet this requirement.
How soon before my students begin school?
After all registration requirements are in place, your child's school building will request records from the student's previous school. The school will then contact you to meet with the student to place him/her in a class or, develop a schedule for him/her. If the previous school records are sent along quickly, the student is usually enrolled within a couple days.
Who can register a student?
Only the child's parent or legal guardian can register a student. Relatives can register a student only when that relative has legal custody of the child.
My former spouse and I share custody of our child. Can I register him/her?
The parent/guardian with primary custody of the child must register the child. Additionally, the parent with primary custody must maintain a residence in the Canandaigua City School District boundaries. The child must spend the majority of the school year with that parent/guardian.
Can I register my child at the building in which he/she will be placed?
No. We use a central registration process in which parents register their student at the Administration Center regardless of grade level or age. Once the required paperwork is completed, the building in which the child will attend will contact you to complete the registration process.
How do I register my child for Pre-Kindergarten?
There are a limited number of seats in our Pre-Kindergarten program. You must fill out the required paperwork at the Primary School, 96 West Gibson St., by May 1st, prior to the school year in which the student will be enrolled. Due to limited seats, not all students will be selected for our Pre-Kindergarten program. .
How do I update/change contact information?
Contact the central registrar at (585)396-3948 or, via email at: StudentRegistration@CanandaiguaSchools.org In addition, you can stop by the
Kindergarten registration is open for the 2021-2022 school year. The linked video gives information about registration. Registration is open from now until April 16, 2021. Students must turn five on or before December 1, 2021 to be eligible for Kindergarten next school year.
The registration process is as follows:
Complete initial Kindergarten registration form linked on our website
Once you complete the initial form, you will receive an email from
StudentRegistration@canandaiguaschools.org with instructions on additional forms and documents needed to complete the registration process. All information will be submitted electronically.
We will host a Zoom webinar meeting in May with more information about Kindergarten and the 2021-2022 school year.
Looking ahead, it is difficult to project how the 2021-22 school year will look at this time. Please know, our goal is to have all of our students back in our classrooms every day of the week. We will continue to work toward this, but want you to be aware of what school looks like this year.
This year our families could choose to be fully virtual or have their children attend school in-person. The students that are in school come a few days a week and do remote learning the remainder of the week. The current NYS guidance mandates that our students wear masks and stay 6 feet apart. Due to this constraint we cannot currently have all of our students back full time.
It will be very important that you continue to stay connected to the Primary School by visiting their website -www.canandaiguaschools.org or looking on social media. After you are fully registered, we will also be contacting you regarding any updates. Remember, our learning model is determined by the safety guidelines we receive from New York State.
Registration is open from now until April 16, 2021. If you need any assistance with the registration process, please contact our registrar, Suzie Cannan - firstname.lastname@example.org or at (585) 396-3948.
We look forward to welcoming the class of 2034!
We are registering new students via the online form above. Please complete the form for each of the students that you wish to register.
Once you complete the registration form, you will be emailed with additional forms to complete and documents to upload. If you have any questions, please email or call our student registrar at StudentRegistration@canandaiguaschools.org or (585) 396-3948.
143 North Pearl St.
Canandaigua, NY 14424