Student Registration

header photo


Welcome to Canandaigua!

We are so happy you have decided to enroll your child in the Canandaigua School District! The following steps are outlined to assist parents and/or guardians who wish to enroll students in the school district. Please be advised the district enrollment materials have been revised to comply with section 100.2(y) of the Commissioner's Regulations as amended. Our school district uses a central registration process, so all students, regardless of grade level, register at our Administration Center at 143 North Pearl Street, except when registering for Kindergarten (dates below).

Kindergarten Registration!

April 11th and 12th, 2018

Location: Primary School
Times: 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and 5:30-7:30 p.m. both days
What: Official registration of incoming kindergarteners. Registration requirements will be provided in packets (see also information below and at right on this page)

March 28, 2018 - Kindergarten Parent Information Night
Location: Primary School auditorium, 90 West Gibson St., Canandaigua
Time: 6:00 p.m.
What: Basic information and orientation for parents of incoming September, 2018 kindergarteners. Registration packets will be made available. School officials on hand to answer questions.

Steps to Register your Student

Step 1

Contact the central registrar at (585) 396-3948 to schedule an appointment or, stop in to the Administration Center at 143 North Pearl St. between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. It's best to make an appointment in advance. You will be required to provide documentation when registering your student. See Registration Requirements below.

Step 2

After completing the initial registration forms, the school building in which your child will be enrolled will request records from the previous school. Once records are received, the school will schedule an appointment with you to complete the registration process and provide you with a start date for your child.

Registration Requirements

Please provide this information as promptly as possible, as the District is required to determine whether your child is entitled to continued enrollment in the District within four days of your initial enrollment request. Your failure to provide the following information may put your child’s continued enrollment in jeopardy.


Please submit evidence establishing you and your child’s physical presence in the school district. Such evidence may include:

  1. A copy of a residential lease or proof of ownership of a house or condominium, such as a deed or mortgage statement;
  2. A statement by a third-party landlord, owner or tenant from whom the parent(s) or person(s) in parental relation leases or with whom they share property within the District, which may be either sworn or unsworn;
  3. Such other statement by a third party establishing the parent(s)’ or person(s) in parental relation’s physical presence in the district; and/or
  4. Other forms of documentation, which may include, but will not be limited to:
    • pay stub;
    • income tax form;
    • utility or other bills;
    • membership documents (e.g., library cards) based upon residency;
    • voter registration document(s);
    • official driver’s license, learner’s permit or non-driver identification;
    • State or other government issued identification;
    • documents issued by federal, state or local agencies (e.g., local social service agency, federal Office of Refugee Resettlement); or
    • evidence of custody of the child, including but not limited to judicial custody orders or guardianship papers.

The District may also require the parent(s) and/or person(s) in parental relation to the child to provide an affidavit either:

  1. indicating that they are the parent(s) with whom the child lawfully resides; or
  2. indicating that they are the person(s) in parental relation to the child, over whom they have total and permanent custody and control, and describing how they obtained total and permanent custody and control, whether through guardianship or otherwise.

** Note on Residency - Only students who are are valid inhabitants in the Canandaigua City School District boundaries may attend the district schools unless families in temporary residences fall within the provisions of the McKinney-Vento Act.


The District will require documentation and/or information establishing your child’s age. Please supply a certified transcript of a birth certificate or record of baptism (including a certified transcript of a foreign birth certificate or record of baptism) giving the date of birth. Where such documentation is not available, a passport (including a foreign passport) may be used.

Where birth certificate or passport is not available, the District may consider certain other evidence, which has been in existence two years or more. Other evidence may include, but will not be limited to the following:

    • official driver’s license;
    • state or other government issued identification;
    • school photo identification with date of birth;
    • consulate identification card;
    • hospital or health records;
    • military dependent identification card;
    • documents issued by federal, state or local agencies (e.g., local social service agency, federal Office of Refugee Resettlement);
    • court orders or other court-issued documents;
    • Native American tribal document; or
    • records from non-profit international aid agencies and voluntary agencies


In accordance with New York State’s Public Health Law, the District must also receive evidence that your child has been immunized in accordance with the New York State Department of Heath Immunization Bureau’s Immunization Requirements for School Entrance/Attendance. These records will be necessary to ensure your child’s continued attendance. Additionally, please provide us with records of any recent physical examination your student has received. New York State mandates that each new student entering a public school is required to have a physical examination upon entering the District. A physical completed no more than twelve months before the first day of the school year in question will meet this requirement.

Universal Pre-Kindergarten

Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) is a program for four year olds that is available for residents of the Canandaigua City School District. Participation in a Pre-Kindergarten Program is not required for a student to be eligible for kindergarten the following year, although it is great preparation for Kindergarten. Children who turn four years old on or before December 1, 2018 are eligible for UPK. If your child is eligible for kindergarten (four years old and turning 5 by December 1, 2018), they are not eligible to attend UPK.

There is no charge for the UPK program and there is no transportation available. UPK classes are half day, five days per week on school days. There are morning and afternoon sessions. Each session will serve 17 children. All instruction is based in the Common Core State Standards. The program is designed to prepare children for kindergarten in the Canandaigua City School District.

In addition to the district UPK classrooms at the Primary School, we offer a limited number of slots at five agencies in the community. Please complete and return your preferences with your application.

The deadline for application to the UPK program is March 31, 2018. The District will begin accepting applications any time after December 1, 2017. If we receive more applications than our capacity, the slots will be filled by lottery. All applications received after the deadline will be added to the end of the wait list.

Register by mail or e-mail: Print and complete the Registration Form (available at the right of this page). Specific UPK information is on page 4 of the Registration Form. Mail your completed form to the address below or e-mail as an attachment to:

Please Note: Only the completed application form is necessary by March 31, 2018. All other paperwork will be completed at a later date.

Required documents at the time of registration (June 6-7, 2018):

1. Proof of student date of birth (e.g. birth certificate, passport, record of baptism, etc.)

2. Proof of Residency**
- Driver's License with In-District address AND at least one of the following:
- Current utility bill indicating the service address
- Rental agreement
- Home purchase offer (good only for 90 days)

3. Record of Immunizations

4. Copy of most recent physical (must have been within 12 months of school start date)

5. Copy of Dental Health Certificate (must have been within 12 months of school start date)

6. Custody or Guardianship paperwork (e.g. birth certificate indicating mother and/or father, divorce or separation agreement indicating custody, etc.)

** Note on Residency - We will only register students who have shown proper residency paperwork and are valid inhabitants in the Canandaigua City School District boundaries unless families in temporary residences fall within the provisions of the McKinney-Vento Act.


We would be happy to answer any questions related to Canandaigua’s UPK program. Please call the Primary School Office at (585)396-3932.

Canandaigua Primary School
Attn: UPK/Terre Aronson
96 West Gibson St.

Canandaigua, NY 14424

Frequently Asked Questions

How soon before my students begin school?
After all registration requirements are in place, your child's school building will request records from the student's previous school. The school will then contact you to meet with the student to place him/her in a class or, develop a schedule for him/her. If the previous school records are sent along quickly, the student is usually enrolled within a couple days.

Who can register a student?
Only the child's parent or legal guardian can register a student. Relatives can register a student only when that relative has legal custody of the child.

My former spouse and I share custody of our child. Can I register him/her?
The parent/guardian with primary custody of the child must register the child. Additionally, the parent with primary custody must maintain a residence in the Canandaigua City School District boundaries. The child must spend the majority of the school year with that parent/guardian.

Can I register my child at the building in which he/she will be placed?
No. We use a central registration process in which parents register their student at the Administration Center regardless of grade level or age. Once the required paperwork is completed, the building in which the child will attend will contact you to complete the registration process.

How do I register my child for Pre-Kindergarten?
There are a limited number of seats in our Pre-Kindergarten program. You must fill out the required paperwork at the Primary School, 96 West Gibson St., by May 1st, prior to the school year in which the student will be enrolled. Due to limited seats, not all students will be selected for our Pre-Kindergarten program. .

How do I update/change contact information?
Contact the central registrar at (585)396-3948 or, via email at: In addition, you can stop by the Administration Center at 143 North Pearl St. (former bus garage) or at the main office of the Primary-Elementary School, the Middle School, or the Canandaigua Academy.

Faith Shaw
Faith Shaw
Central Registrar

Administration Center
143 North Pearl St.
Canandaigua, NY 14424
Office (585)396-3948
Fax (585)396-7306

Portable Document Format (PDF) In order to improve viewing of these files, please download the latest version of Adobe Reader, which is available for free at the Adobe Website.