Universal Pre-Kindergarten Registration
Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) is a program for four year olds that is available for residents of the Canandaigua City School District. Participation in a Pre-Kindergarten Program is not required for a student to be eligible for kindergarten the following year, although it is great preparation for Kindergarten. Children who turn four years old on or before December 1, 2019 are eligible for UPK. If your child is eligible for kindergarten (four years old and turning 5 by December 1, 2019), they are not eligible to attend UPK.
There is no charge for the UPK program and there is no transportation available. UPK classes are half day, five days per week on school days. There are morning and afternoon sessions. Each session will serve 17 children. All instruction is based in the Common Core State Standards. The program is designed to prepare children for kindergarten in the Canandaigua City School District.
In addition to the district UPK classrooms at the Primary School, we offer a limited number of slots at five agencies in the community- Care-a-lot, FLCC, Happiness House, Our Children's Place, and the YMCA.
Please complete and return your preferences with your application.
The deadline for application to the UPK program is February 28, 2019.
The District will begin accepting applications any time after December 1, 2018. If we receive more applications than our capacity, the slots will be filled by lottery. All applications received on or before February 28, 2019 are part of the lottery. All applications received after the deadline will be added to the end of the wait list.
Register by mail or e-mail: Print and complete the Registration Form (available at the right of this page). Specific UPK information is on page 4 of the Registration Form. Mail your completed form to the address below: or e-mail as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We can’t accept email copies with digital signatures or unsigned applications.
Please Note: Only the completed application form is necessary by February 28, 2019. All other paperwork will be completed at a later date.
We would be happy to answer any questions related to Canandaigua’s UPK program. Please call the Primary School Office at (585)396-3932.
Canandaigua Primary School
Attn: UPK/Mrs. Terre Aronson
96 West Gibson St.
Canandaigua, NY 14424
Due February 28, 2019
1. Proof of student date of birth (e.g. birth certificate, passport, record of baptism, etc.)
2. Proof of Residency**
Please submit evidence establishing you and your child’s physical presence in the school district. Such evidence may include:
- A copy of a residential lease or proof of ownership of a house or condominium, such as a deed or mortgage statement;
- A statement by a third-party landlord, owner or tenant from whom the parent(s) or person(s) in parental relation leases or with whom they share property within the District, which may be either sworn or unsworn;
- Such other statement by a third party establishing the parent(s)’ or person(s) in parental relation’s physical presence in the district; and/or
- Other forms of documentation, which may include, but will not be limited to:
- -pay stub;
- -income tax form;
- -utility or other bills;
- -membership documents (e.g., library cards) based upon residency;
- -voter registration document(s);
- -official driver’s license, learner’s permit or non-driver identification;
- -State or other government issued identification;
- documents issued by federal, state or local agencies (e.g., local social service agency, federal Office of Refugee Resettlement); or
- -evidence of custody of the child, including but not limited to judicial custody orders or guardianship papers.
3. Record of Immunizations
4. Copy of most recent physical (must have been within 12 months of school start date)
5. Copy of Dental Health Certificate (must have been within 12 months of school start date)
6. Custody or Guardianship paperwork (e.g. birth certificate indicating mother and/or father, divorce or separation agreement indicating custody, etc.)
** Note on Residency - We will only register students who have shown proper residency paperwork and are valid inhabitants in the Canandaigua City School District boundaries unless families in temporary residences fall within the provisions of the McKinney-Vento Act.
THESE DOCUMENTS ARE NOT NEEDED WITH THE UPK APPLICATION