To Primary School Kindergarten teacher MaryAnn Pavone on being awarded the 2023 John Wilcox Award.
The award is named in honor of longtime Canandaigua Academy Principal John Wilcox and is the highest award given to a Canandaigua City School District employee.
Mary Ann Pavone has taught for 49 (!!!) years and has taught for the Canandaigua City School District since 1982. MA has been the grade level leader, a member of just about every committee, and she is dedicated to putting her students first. She comes up with creative ways to engage her students from her famous plays, to the annual "T" party and election day doughnut making. She is truly a dedicated employee and examplies the characteristics and principles so closely connected to Mr. John Wilcox!
The drawing of the Canandaigua Lady is by Kaylie Reinhart '23.
The John Wilcox Award
The John Wilcox Award is the Canandaigua City School District’s highest award given to academic and support staff. John Wilcox served as the Canandaigua Academy Principal from 1967-1986. His leadership was exemplified by his high principles and his own personal code of conduct. Mr. Wilcox believed:
- In putting students first, in honoring them for who they are and celebrating their victories.
- To ensure student success, staff and family must show students they care – through love, support and involvement in the student’s life.
- Every student, when given the chance, could be successful.
- All students need and want structure, rules and discipline in their lives.
- In hard work and commitment, doing whatever it took to get the job done and more.
- In the Canandaigua City School District’s Character Education principles in all that he did both professionally and personally.
- In the Canandaigua School System, the community of Canandaigua and all who live and work here.
To honor the memory of Mr. Wilcox, who passed away on December 3, 2008, the Canandaigua City School District established the John Wilcox Award. This award is given at Commencement to a Canandaigua City School District staff member whose professional principles mirror those of John Wilcox.