Physical Education Lead Teacher
The consistent threads that run through our K-12 Canandaigua Physical Education program are…..
Personal Health and Fitness
- Regularly engaging in the five fitness components will promote lifelong health and well-being.
- Participation in sports and activities will harness skill development encouraging lifelong engagement.
- Team and individual activities will call on the development in the psycho-motor, cognitive and effective domain.
- Understanding healthy nutritional concepts will aid in developing a fit lifestyle.
A Safe and Healthy Environment
- Regularly Communication plays an intricate role in personal safety and enjoyment.
- Understanding risks and personal responsibility while following directives will lead to injury prevention.
- Establishing a safe and welcoming environment will lead to a healthy physical, social and emotional experience for all abilities.
- Learning about health and wellness professions promotes possible career opportunity exploration.
- Exploring school and community based recreational and competitive activities will foster lifelong physical activity and engagement.
The mission of the Physical Education Department
is to play an essential role in the development of students by engaging in and understanding the importance of personal health, lifetime fitness, recreation and sport through necessary physical, social, emotional and cognitive skills.
- Physical Education creates an authentic learning experience of a wide variety of physical skills which fosters an appreciation for lifelong fitness.
- Physical Education promotes an appreciation and understanding of a safe and healthy environment.
- Physical Education promotes knowledge of community resources available to continue pursuing lifelong physical activity.
As a result of their participation in the Canandaigua Physical Education program, students will be able to independently…..
- Stay active and healthy throughout their lifetime.
- Develop skills and strategies in the areas of cooperation, teamwork and fair play.
- Thoughtfully engage in problem solving and positive decision making.
- Develop an appreciation for rules, concepts and strategies through activity and authentic game play.
- Apply skills learned to real life experiences.
Primary Elementary School
Our department will teach your child many of the physical, cognitive and social skills necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Our mission is to teach students about the importance of personal health and lifetime fitness. It is recognized that developing and practicing positive decision making in terms of personal fitness and wellness are inherent in leading a happy, healthy and productive life. A wide variety of activities are utilized to support the development of a Physically Educated Student. Emphasis is placed on advancing mutual respect, understanding of individual differences, sportsmanship and fair play.
The objective of the Middle School Physical Education Program is to give students the opportunity to participate in a variety of team and individual sports. Students will continue to develop sport specific skills to be successful in modified game play. Students work to implement strategy within modified game play. Sportsmanship, respect and knowledge of how sport and physical activities relate to a healthy lifestyle continue to be a major focus.
The overall objective of the Academy Physical Education program is to create, teach, and apply healthy lifestyles. Physical Education is an integral part of the total program at the Academy. Students must earn two credits of Physical Education in order to fulfill graduation requirements. Students participate in Physical Education on an alternating day basis. Adaptive Physical Education is available for students with handicapping conditions as specified in the IEP. The Physical Education program is modified on a yearly basis in order to introduce students to a variety of sports and lifetime recreational activities. There is an aquatics component to all Physical Education courses both in the Fall and Spring semesters.
Students who fail to fulfill the Physical Education requirement during the school year will be encouraged to earn the required credit in summer session if the program is available.